New Racer in the Mobile area - Questions

All things RC

New Racer in the Mobile area - Questions

Postby zach51 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Hey guys, my name is Zach and I am relocating within the company I currently work from Fort Smith, Arkansas to the Mobile area at the end of January. My office is going to be in Theodore but I am really unfamiliar with the area, so not exactly sure where to look for housing yet.

But anyways, I have raced about everything there is at some point. I started racing paved concrete oval in ’97 and since then I have done asphalt touring, carpet touring, nitro 1/8th off-road, electric 1/10th off-road, indoor, outdoor, you name it. I also worked at a hobby shop here for 4 years during college.

I was just wondering what kind of tracks are in the area (within 100 miles or so), and what the popular classes are. I am used to having to adjust to the popular classes in the past, so getting something different isn’t no big deal. I see a lot of post on here regarding on-road racing. I wouldn’t mind getting back into that.

Right now, my fleet consists of:

*RC8.2 Nitro 1/8th Buggy
*B4.2 1/10th Buggy
*WCM ¼ Scale Stock Car

Thanks in advance for any info or advice! Nice website/forum by the way!
Zach Garner -- Mobile, AL
Associated B5 - Tekin - Futaba
Associated RC8.2 - Novarossi - Futaba
Associated RC8.2e - LRP - Futaba
zach51

Re: New Racer in the Mobile area - Questions

Postby murcielago 01 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Off road class are 1/8 nitro buggy, 1/8 nitro truggy, 1/8 electric buggy, 1/8 electric truggy, 1/10 2wd short course, 1/10 4x4 short course and some times 1/10 2wd buggy.
ae rc8t ce
blitz ese pro
murcielago 01
Offroad Track Director

Postby Razorbelly on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:24 pm

We race mainly at Bay City Raceway behind HobbytownUsa in Mobile. On the corner of Airport Blvd and Schillinger Rd N.
There is an off road oval and a Short Course track (130'X90') that we race on. (1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month)
There's a off road Short Course track in Fort Walton Beach (smaller/electric only) that races on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays
of the month. It's a good 1/10 scale track, they run Mod 2wd and 4wd buggies as well as 2wd,4wd SCT and 1/8 E buggies.
It's called B&T R/C Central. B&T's big classes are Mod 2wd and 4wd buggies and races are always well organized. Most people come to Mobile's track to run their 1/8 Nitro Truggies and buggies on the SC track and Late Models, Sprints & Outlaws on the Oval.
Last edited by Razorbelly on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razorbelly

Postby Jamminator on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:24 pm

For off-road racing here locally...

Mobile RC/Baycity Raceway/HobbyTownUSA (same thing) - We race at the track behind the HobbyTown on the first and third Saturday of each month. Registration is around 12pm and racing starts at 1pm. When it gets warmer we'll start in the later afternoon and race into the night. Classes are basically what Murcielago said, nitro truggy and electric truggy usually combine. There are two rounds of qualifying (we run Rocket Round style) and then Mains.

------------
As for driving to other tracks "in the area"...

With your 8.2, B&T is going to be a waste of your time. It's 2 hours from Mobile, they don't run nitro, and track is only 1/10th sized.

For the same travel distance you can go to SCR Raceway in Destrehan, LA and race on a real 1/8th track with fast guys. http://laracer.proboards.com/board/31/r ... rcorrected

There was another indoor track in Chalmette, LA called Victory Lane Hobbies, which is basically closed now due to fire and ongoing owner issues. May return, may not. Victory Lane was around 30 minutes from SCR.

On-road racing is across the bay in Baldwin County. https://www.facebook.com/XtremeZoneRCTrack?fref=ts
Jamminator

Postby zach51 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info guys, looking forward to getting down there and settled and doing some racing!
Zach Garner -- Mobile, AL
Associated B5 - Tekin - Futaba
Associated RC8.2 - Novarossi - Futaba
Associated RC8.2e - LRP - Futaba
zach51

Postby teamracer 59 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:21 am

welcome and can not wait to get racing with u
teamracer 59

Postby jwmustang on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:10 pm

B&T in Ft Walton
http://z3.invisionfree.com/btrccentral/ ... rchome.htm

Tallahassee FL (large trk, best driver stand around Ebuggy & Nitro)
http://www.tallahasseerc.com/
jwmustang

Postby Msey15 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:01 am

I see you have a 1/4 scale oval car. There is a nice asphalt oval in Montgomery AL.
http://www.lagoonparkraceway.org/
Mike Seymour
Msey15

Postby BUCKSHOTRC on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:54 pm

the most likely class around
the south off road are 2 & 4 wd sc or 1/8u elec or nitro then truggy

lagoon park in montgomery for 1/4 scale or lakeland florida
BUCKSHOTRC

Return to General RC Discussion